For this assignment, attend a festival or visit a grocery store that caters to a specific ethnicity other than your own, such as Greek, Chinese, Japanese, Middle Eastern, or Mexican. Spend a significant amount of time there observing the setting. Consider the following in your observations:
- What do you smell?
- What types of food are available that are unfamiliar to you?
- How are the food and other items presented in ways that seem unusual or different from your experience?
- Watch and listen to the people. How do they interact with each other? How are they dressed?
Write an essay (250-500-words) thoroughly describing the experience:
- Where did you go? Who went with you? How long did you stay?
- What did you notice, especially about the way the people interacted?
- To what do you attribute the differences you saw or smelled or heard?
- Reflect on how much this experience stretched your comfort zone and how this observation might affect your intercultural communication.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a grading rubric. Instructors will be using the rubric to grade the assignment; therefore, students should review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.