Case Study : Sabrina is a twenty-seven-year-old woman who recently underwent a corpus callosotomy. Initially after surgery, when given a verbal command, Sabrina demonstrated marked apraxia of the left hand. However, the extent of this issue diminished over time. Answer the following questions about this client:
case study on apraxia
- What disorder was most likely being treated by this operation, and how is the surgery performed?
- In what way is the surgery expected to help Sabrina?
- What are the risks and benefits of the surgery? Compare these to the risks and benefits of an alternative treatment. If the decision were yours, which would you recommend? Explain your decision.
- What was the cause of the apraxia?
- What does the reduction in apraxia symptoms tell us about hemispheric specialization?