classical ethical theories of utilitarianism, deontology, and virtue ethics.
In this course, you have looked at classical ethical theories of utilitarianism, deontology, and virtue ethics. You have also examined different perspectives on ethical issues introduced by relativism, ethical egoism, and emotivism. For this paper, you will apply these theories and perspectives to a current issue.
Choose an ethical issue to write about. You may choose from the list below or, with approval from the instructor, select a different socially-relevant topic. It is recommended that you choose a topic that you are familiar with or that you have some interest in exploring further. For the purposes of this paper, your topic should pertain to a current area of interest in the news and/or government policy forums.
- Corporate executive compensation
- Corporate contributions to political campaigns
- Human trafficking
- Mass incarceration and the prison industrial complex
- The media and their responsibilities
- Domestic surveillance
- Whistleblowing in government or in a business
- Religion in the workplace
- Ethical problems of gambling
- Progressive taxation rates
- Immigration reform in the U.S. and/or abroad
- Women’s equality
In your paper, you will apply ethical theories and perspectives to the issue that you select. You do not have to use all six, but you should apply at least two ethical theories and at least one ethical perspective in your paper. Make sure that you write primarily on ethical topics and concepts, aiming to be both balanced and intellectually driven in your work. You may share your personal views, but do not rely on opinions (yours or those offered by others) to make your case. Think about the evidence that helps to make your case and use it.
Address the following questions:
- What are the ethical issues?
- Where are there breaches of ethical behavior?
- How could each ethical theory you cite help people think about what constitutes virtuous or ethical behavior?
The paper must be eight to ten pages in length (excluding title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style. Excluding the textbook, you must use at least five scholarly sources from the Ashford University Library to support your claims. You can also use the Sociology Research Guide located in the Ashford University Library. Cite your sources within the text of your paper and on the reference page. For information regarding APA, including samples and tutorials, visit the Ashford Writing Center.