The Summative Assessment for this course will involve the application of professional presentation skills in preparing a Power Point presentation and a narrative summary that might be used in an oral presentation related to communication in the human services field. This Final Project will focus on one group in need that is served by human service professionals, taking into account all of the learning outcomes identified throughout the course. Note: The Final Project requires the submission of both the Power Point presentation and the narrative summary.
Communication Skills For Health And Human Services
Imagine that you are a human service professional interviewing clients from a particular group and select one of the following groups:
- Children and families
- People with mental illness
- People with disabilities
Upon selecting a group of interest, prepare a six- to eight-slide presentation (excluding title and reference slides) that includes the following:
- A description of the group’s challenges and specific communication needs (one slide)
- A description of at least two communication theories applicable within the human services field. Discuss how you, in the capacity of a human services professional, might use each theory to effectively engage with your clients. (one to two slides)
- Examples of three verbal and three nonverbal communication techniques/skills you might use when working with clients from within the health and human services workplace setting (three to four slides)
In addition to your Power Point presentation, prepare a four- to six-page narrative summary (excluding title and reference pages) that further explains your selected methods. Specifically, your summary will
- Describe your selected communication theory as applied to the health and human services setting, including your reasoning for selecting them, as well as benefits and limitations of their use when working with your selected group.
- Identify active listening skills you might use in interpersonal (e.g., one-on-one interactions) and group (e.g., group sessions) settings within the workplace.
- Identify empathy skills you might use in interpersonal (e.g., one-on-one interactions) and group (e.g., group sessions) settings within the workplace
- Describe how family, culture, and gender issues impact communication.
- Consider your proposed approach to interviewing clients from your selected group and identify some of your personal communication strengths and growth.