Describe the basic criteria for schizophrenia based on the current DSM criteria.
The discussion assignment provides a forum to discuss the relevant topics for this week based on the course competencies covered. For this assignment, there are two parts. Make sure to answer all questions for Part 1 and Part 2 Provide a detailed response to the topic questions in theDiscussion Area. For this assignment, post your responses directly in theDiscussion Area. Do not use attached documents.
To support your work, make sure to utilize your course and text readings. When asked, also utilize outside sources. As in all assignments, make sure to cite your sources in your work and provide references for those citations utilizing APA format.
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible. Respond to at least two of your classmates. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between one or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Part 1:
The presenting symptoms or functioning skills can at times be representative of different disorders. For example, both intellectual disability disorder and dementia describe significant deficits in everyday functioning. Behavior disorders from an everyday point of view are also a difficult area to define. One of the challenges with evaluating children is the influence of several factors such as social, cognitive, and motor development as well as environmental factors.
- Describe the diagnostic criteria for intellectual disability disorder and dementia based on the current DSM. Explain the major differences between the two disorders. Describe some of the ways in which a person may be diagnosed with intellectual disability disorder. Describe some of the ways a person may be diagnosed with dementia.
- Describe the main types of behavior disorders in children and explain how these disorders can be differentiated from a child that may be exhibiting disruptive behaviors for other reasons.
Somatic symptom disorder has a long history. Sigmund Freud described a case of Anna, who displayed several physical conditions (e.g., pain, dizziness, numbness, and visual disturbances) with no apparent medical cause. Also, schizophrenia is not actually one single disorder but a spectrum of disorders that fall along a continuum of symptoms and functioning levels.
- Describe somatic symptom disorder, and if the disorder can be diagnosed if the person has an actual physical illness.
- Describe the basic criteria for schizophrenia based on the current DSM criteria. Explain the differences between negative and positive symptoms.
- Explain the prognosis of an individual diagnosed with schizophrenia based on age and gender factors.
Justify your answers with appropriate reasoning and research from your text and course readings. Comment on the postings of at least two peers, and provide an analysis of each peer’s postings while also suggesting specific additions or clarifications for improving the discussion question response.