George is a 28-year-old male, currently pursuing a degree in psychology. He wants to be a counselor for people with adjustment difficulties. However, George’s supervisors are suggesting he consider changing his career because he seems to lack the particular skills he needs to be a competent and effective counselor. His supervisors have identified the following tendencies in George:
- He has a tendency to be judgmental and narrow-minded about people different from him.
- He is very guarded and defensive with people and typically thinks that other people are trying to put him down.
- He often forces his opinions on people.
Please answer each of the following questions thoroughly in a paper that is a minimum of 800 words in length.
- How will George’s usual ways of dealing with people affect his attempt to be an effective counselor? Analyze each of the characteristics mentioned above (judgmental, narrow-minded, guarded/defensive, and opinionated).
- Identify and discuss at least five of the most important skills that a counselor should have to be effective in their field? Explain what each skill entails and why each skill is important to the therapeutic process.
- What ethical standards might George be in danger of violating if he does not change his way of interacting with clients? Be sure to include at least a couple of references to the ethical codes in your response.
- Suggest at least three practical steps that George can take to develop the characteristics and skills he needs to be an effective therapist?