Technology Changes Everything
This assignment provides another opportunity for you to evaluate a variety of digital and assistive technologies for supporting diverse learners. For this assignment, you will create a presentation using Microsoft PowerPoint or other presentation software of your choice. To prepare for this assignment, it is recommended that in addition to reading Edyburn (2013) Chapter 1 that you also review the Week One Instructor Guidance. Additionally, be sure to view the TEDx Talks (2012) video Can Technology Change Education? Yes!: Raj Dhingra at TEDxBend. While you watch the video, pay particular attention to the story Dhingra tells about the Firefly Mobile Learning Bus utilized in Turkey and how students are connecting to technology for teaching and learning in rural parts of the world.
Next, watch the Conscious Educating (2011) video Microsoft Vision of the Classroom of the Future, which shows how technology might affect a classroom in the future while considering how much technology has changed in such a short period of time. Finally, watch the TED (2010) video The Child-Driven Education in which Sugata Mitra discusses how the best teachers and the schools that need them the most can connect through effective use of technology.
The purpose of this assignment is to showcase how technology has evolved with regard to teaching and learning and to show the influence it has on supporting all learners and encouraging student independence. The videos listed above provide numerous examples to inform the presentation requirements. It is recommended that you take some time to consider what will occur in the Week Six Final Project and how the work completed in this assignment could inform the Final Project. Create your presentation using the content and written communication instructions below. Use the Grading Rubric to review your presentation before submission to ensure you have met the distinguished performance for each of the components described below. For additional assistance, review the Week One Instructor Guidance and, if needed, contact the instructor for further clarifications using the “Ask Your Instructor” discussion forum.
- Slide Length and Design (0.5 point): The presentation should be five to eight slides in length including title and references slides. Use relevant and appropriate graphics, sound, and/or animation that assist in presenting the overall main point but do not distract from the information presented. Slides should have a consistent theme, format, and font that augment the readability of the presentation.
- Evolution of Technology (1 point): Discuss three ways the evolution of technology has impacted teaching and learning.
- Technology Examples (2 points): Describes three examples of how digital and assistive technologies can be used to support diverse learners.
- Technology Influence (2 points): Discusses three ways technology influences student independence.
Written Communication Instructions
- Syntax and Mechanics (0.5 point): Display meticulous comprehension and organization of syntax and mechanics, such as spelling and grammar.
- Source Requirement (0.5 point): Reference each of the featured videos as well as the Edyburn (2013) course text on the references slide and correctly cite all sources within the body of the presentation.
- APA Formatting (0.5 point): Use APA formatting consistently throughout the assignment. Refer to the Ashford University Writing Center for assistance with APA style and formatting or your copy of the APA Style Manual.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.