It is a three page paper that also needs a title page and a reference page.
Choose an ethical issue to write about. You may choose from the list below! It is recommended that you choose a topic that you are familiar with or that you have some interest in exploring further. For the purposes of this paper, your topic should pertain to a current area of interest in the news and/or government policy forums.
- Corporate executive compensation
- Corporate contributions to political campaigns
- Human trafficking
- Mass incarceration and the prison industrial complex
- The media and their responsibilities
- Domestic surveillance
- Whistleblowing in government or in a business
- Religion in the workplace
- Ethical problems of gambling
- Progressive taxation rates
- Immigration reform in the U.S. and/or abroad
- Women’s equality
In your paper, you will apply ethical theories and perspectives to the issue that you select. You do not have to use all six, but you should apply at least two ethical theories and at least one ethical perspective in your paper. Make sure that you write primarily on ethical topics and concepts, aiming to be both balanced and intellectually driven in your work. You may share your personal views, but do not rely on opinions (yours or those offered by others) to make your case. Think about the evidence that helps to make your case and use it.
Address the following questions:
- What are the ethical issues?
- Where are there breaches of ethical behavior?
- How could each ethical theory you cite help people think about what constitutes virtuous or ethical behavior?
Your draft must include at least three pages of text plus a title page and a references page. Your draft should include a clear thesis statement that states what you plan to argue. It should also explain how you intend to develop the final paper and include a list of the sources you intend to use. You can also use the Sociology Research Guide located in the Ashford University Library. Format your rough draft according to APA style and properly cite and reference all your sources according to APA format. If you would like to refer to APA samples and tutorials, visit the Ashford Writing Center, located within the Learning Resources tab in the left navigation bar of your online course.