Asford COM 200 Week 2 Discussion 1
Some students think that they do not have much of a cultural background because they were not born outside of the United States or because they do not speak another language. The truth is that everyone has a culture!
How does your culture affect your communication with those in your own culture and those from other cultures?
Write: Based on what you have learned in class this week
- Define culture and explain why it is important to understanding communication.
- Explain how paying attention to culture can make you a better communicator.
- Describe your own culture and share with us what makes you who you are. Your culture can be related to your race, ethnicity, gender, age, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, media preferences, hobbies, religion, etc. Try not to focus on just one of these aspects of yourself, but instead utilize as many cultural elements as possible. Think about both style (how you speak) and content (what interests you).
- How does your culture affect your communication with those in your own culture and those from other cultures?
- Thoroughly respond to the discussion elements by writing at least one to two sentences on your definition and then two to three sentences on each of the remaining two elements. Use the course readings, with full APA citations, at least once to help you make your points. Consider copying and pasting all three tasks into a word file and addressing each of them separately.
- Your initial response should be 200 to 300 words in length and is due by Thursday, Day 3.