Assignment 2: Project Paper
HUM 112 Assignment 2: Project Paper
Due Week 8 and worth 200 points
The Project Paper focuses on a suggested topic related to art, architecture, history, music, or literature. The project will reflect your views and interpretation of the topic. This project is designed to help you stretch your mind and your abilities to be the creative, innovative, and critical thinker you already are!
Choose one (1) of the topics from the list of topic choices below. Read the topic carefully. Write a three to four (3-4) page paper (750-1,000 words) that responds to each of the items described in the topic.
For the topic you choose:
- Support your ideas with specific, illustrative examples. If there are questions or points associated with your chosen topic, be sure to answer all of the listed questions and address all of the items in that topic. If your topic asks you to do several things related to the topic, be sure to do each of the things listed.
- While some of the topics tend to lend themselves toward particular writing genres, you are not restricted to the specific format suggested for the individual topic. For example, you may do an “interview,” a “proposal,” a “letter,” a “short story,” a “blog,” an “essay,” an “article,” or any other written genre for almost any of the topics. The project is intended to be fun as well as informative, so feel free to be creative with the delivery of your information.
- Use at least three (3) good quality academic sources, with one (1) source being the class text. Note: Wikipedia and other similar Websites do not qualify as academic resources. You are highly encouraged to use the Resource Center tab at the top of your Blackboard page.
Note: Your instructor may require you to submit your topic choice for approval before the end of Week 5.
Topic choices (pick 1):
- Office Art Memo. Presentation. Your boss, who knows you have been taking a humanities class since he pays for your tuition reimbursement, has asked you to give a presentation on one of the course topics. You choose to discuss the Impressionist and Post-Impressionist period.
Include the following:
- Identify three (3) examples of 19th century Impressionist painting or sculpture
- Explain why each Impressionist piece is considered to be historically significant.
- Highlight at least three ways that the Impressionist period was different from previous art genres in the course.
- Finally, choose one of the post-Impressionist artists (Van Gogh, Seurat, Roudin, Cezanne, Picasso, etc.) and identify two ways in which their work is different from the original genre.
- Harlem Renaissance Poets. Essay & Poem.
- Write an essay that:
- Describes the Harlem Renaissance. What are the characteristics of the movement that define or distinguish it from other cultural movements?
- Identify two works from the Harlem Renaissance period that highlights the characteristics that you outlined in the previous section.
- Fully describe at least two (2) primary themes you see in the poetry written during this time period, referring to specific lines in each of the poems.
- What are two ways in which the influence of the Harlem Renaissance could be seen in the larger culture of the 1920’s in America?
- Women’s Roles Then & Now. Script. Script a conversation between two (2) notable women from the 18th and / or 19th century on the roles women should play in society. Within the dialogue, include:
- Biographical information for each woman.
- The historical status for women in general during the time period in which each woman lived.
- What opinions each of the women might have on the role the women should play in society during their lifetimes.
- What each of the women might think about women’s current roles?
- Other topic choice recommended and approved by the professor and supported by the grading rubric.
The Project Paper will be graded on:
- The level to which the instructions were followed.
- The extent to which all four (4) parts in the topic were addressed.
- The adequacy of information, examples, and details which support the general claim or main idea.
- The clarity and relevance of the explanations and descriptions.
- Adherence to standard rules of grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
- The inclusion of three (3) required references (two  additional sources besides your textbook) documented using APA style.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA Style format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions specific to the selected topic. (Note: Students can find APA style materials located in the course shell for reference.)
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain how key social, cultural, and artistic contributions contribute to historical changes.
- Explain the importance of situating a society’s cultural and artistic expressions within a historical context.
- Examine the influences of intellectual, religious, political, and socio-economic forces on social, cultural, and artistic expressions.
- Identify major historical developments in world cultures from the Renaissance to the contemporary period.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in the study of world cultures.
- Write clearly and concisely about world cultures using proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.