Working with special populations in any field can present challenges that require special competencies. This is particularly true in the substance abuse field. There are many cultural factors that contribute to substance abuse and influence assessment and treatment approaches. In addition, specific demographic factors such as age, socioeconomic status, family composition, and parenting styles can influence the development of these disorders and have to be addressed in the assessment and treatment plan. The success or failure of treatment can be directly related to the accommodation of these factors.
Working with Diverse Populations
Use the module readings and the Argosy University online library resources to research cultural competency.
Review the following list and select one population group for use in this assignment:
- Deaf and hard of hearing
- Native Americans and Alaskan Natives
- Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders
- Spanish Americans
- Persons with disabilities
- Children and adolescents
- Gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered (GLBT)
Respond to the following in a PowerPoint presentation:
- Explain how you would work with that population with cultural competency. Specifically address substance abuse.
- Describe the particular issues that might arise when working with a client from your selected special population.
Include detailed speaker’s notes and one slide with references.
Develop a 6–8-slide presentation in PowerPoint format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M4_A2.ppt.